Monday, April 21, 2008

You've lost that lovin' feeling.....

An old friend of mine sought my counsel a few days back, regarding matters of the heart foolishly enough. Now I'll be the first to admit that in the field of relationships I have as much experience as an embryo, which is to say none at all. I will however say that after watching all those damned dramas (and romance anime) I have picked up a thing or two in the theory department. So despite the most well known fact (and most of the lads at home find it rather amusing too) that my love life is as dead as road-kill some still persist in seeking my opinions and counsel for whatever reasons are still unknown to me (either that or the bastards are just trying to rub it in). And as usual we have another case of unrequited love, as common as a monkey with bananas and coconuts. So as usual all I could dish out was my well worn platitudes of "eventually somebody will accept you for who you are" or "for all you know you might find someone who really appreciates you soon" that sort of thing. Phrases which we dish out to console friends in such situations. I really do hope that the lad finds someone nice soon, he sure as hell deserves it. Nobody wants to be alone, everyone out there is looking for that special someone, someone whom you know will think of you before she goes to sleep, somebody with which you can share both the good and the bad with. That special someone who always gives you that warm feeling even in the coldest of nights, someone who just makes you smile for no damn reason. It takes great courage to fall in love, even more so to fall out of it intact. But never let these setbacks build a wall around your heart, never let it harden your soul, to do so would be to admit defeat and to damn yourself to a bleak and lonely existence. Keep on trying and eventually someone will accept your feelings. Sure it might hurt awhile, heck it might hurt for a damn long time in some cases, but think of it as a learning experience, take it in your stride. Be proud that you had the courage to do something about your feelings, that at least you didn't go down without trying, at least you gave it your all and don't have any regrets. Don't put off your feelings because it only gets worse as time passes, and for God's sake don't make any excuses. Don't say that "Oh I'm too busy now" or "Oh I'll wait for a better time". Don't think that she'll be there for the taking forever, if you fancy her I'm sure someone sure as hell does too. Wait any longer and that someone will get ahead of you, and by then it'll be too late. It's damn easy to come up with excuses, but it takes a real man to act decisively. A good friend of mine once told me that if you want something you need to grab it with both hands. From what his girlfriend told me he waited for her at the school gate after school everyday. I would never imagine him doing that but that's the kind of thing a guy in love would do I guess, heh the kids are all growing up it seems. And to all those who are attached, you punks know who you are, don't fool around with other girls, I know the lot of you like to say that "Oh at this age it isn't serious. it's just play" and all that kind of crap but please think of people's feelings, she isn't some toy which you throw away as soon as you're bored with it. I know we always joke about these kinds of things but I hope that in reality that's all they are, just jokes. I made the mistake of doing nothing, I closed my heart down and simply lost that lovin' feeling a long time ago, don't make the same mistake.

No comments: